Cùng điểm qua một số thành ngữ phổ biến có nhắc đến “mèo” trong đó nhé!
1. A bag of cats
- A bad-tempered person
- Người xấu tính, dễ nổi nóng
VD: “She’s a real bag of cats this afternoon!”
2. A cat in gloves catches no mice
- Sometimes you can’t accomplish a goal by being careful and polite.
- Cẩn thận, lịch sự quá hóa hỏng
VD: Just talk frankly with her. A cat in gloves catches no mice.
3. Busier than a one-eyed cat watching two mouse holes
- Very busy
- Vô cùng bận rộn (như mèo chột canh 2 ổ chuột)
VD: I’ve been busier than a one-eyed cat watching two mouse holes these days
4. Cat got your tongue? / Has the cat got your tongue?
- Why are you not saying anything? (Often said by adults to children.)
- Mèo ăn mất lưỡi rồi à?
VD: Has the cat got your tongue? I need an explanation.
5. Curiosity killed the cat.
- Being curious can get you into trouble
- Tò mò hại thân
VD: Jill: Where did you get all that money? Jane: Curiosity killed the cat.
6. Fight like cat and dog
- To argue violently all the time
- (Đánh nhau) như chó với mèo
VD: My children fight like cat and dog at home.
7. Let the cat out of the bag
- To reveal a secret or a surprise by accident
- Làm lộ hết bí mật
VD: It’s a secret. Try not to let the cat out of the bag.
8. Mad enough to kick a cat
- Very angry.
- Giận điên người
VD: Stay out of my way! I’m mad enough to kick a cat!
9. Rain cats and dog
- To rain very hard
- Mưa như trút nước
VD: It is raining cats and dogs outside.
10. Weak as a cat/ a kitten
- Very weak, ineffective, fragile
- Yếu ớt
VD: She is as weak as a kitten, unarmed and friendless.